Home » Sharepoint 2010

Where to find (or how to make) OOB WebPart CDATA xml for onet.xml file

When you are attempting to add Web Parts in Modules to an onet.xml file, what is the best way to find (or make) the appropriate xml information that goes inside the <[CDATA [ ]]> element.

In particular, I'm trying to add the "Shared Documents" webpart, but from the sts (OOB Team Site template), the onet.xml does not have it listed (or is the oob template for Team Site not "sts"?).

But in general, how do you get this info for customizing web part include referencs in an onet.xml?


2 Answers Found


Answer 1

I assume you're talking about provisioning a custom site  definition, and the onet.xml you're referring to is your own site definition file? I also assume you're trying to add  the web  part to a page you're provisioning in the site definition? If this is the case you should do the following:

1) avoid, if possible, adding stuff to onet.xml - it's a throwback from the olden days. Create a feature for the module, then create another feature to 'staple' the first feature to the site definition. Chris O'Brien's blogs are always very clear and concise - try this one out http://www.sharepointnutsandbolts.com/2007/05/feature-stapling.html

2) if you're wanting to drop a View of a list or library onto a web part  page then put something like this under the <File> element:

<ViewList="Path/To/Shared Documents"Name="Shared Documents"BaseViewID="1"WebPartZoneID="Left"ShowHeaderUI="TRUE"/>

To add a web part on a page you'll need this kind of thing:

     <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
     <WebPart xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WebPart/v2">
	     <Assembly>Microsoft.SharePoint, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c</Assembly>
	     <Title>Relevant Documents</Title>
	     <Description>Displays documents  that are relevant to the current user.</Description>

The code that goes inside  your <![CDATA[...]]> you can find  by navigating to Site Settings (Top level) > Web Part Gallery, click the Edit link on your desired web part, then click 'Export' to get the .dwp or .webpart file. Copy the xml  from there into your CDATA in your AllUsersWebPart element. I've only tried this with .dwp files, and I'm assuming that it works with .webpart files too - check out Corey Roth's blog post about the different formats.

I've made a lot of assumptions about your question - could be making an ____ out of you and mption, let me know if I've got the wrong end of the stick!


Answer 2

____ is not a swear word, it's just a damn donkey!


<< Previous      Next >>

Microsoft   |   Windows   |   Visual Studio   |   Sharepoint   |   Azure